Monday, December 31, 2007

Thank God he's not like paper towel

One thing I've noticed about paper towel: when people think it's going to run out soon, they start using less and less. I know I do. I fear that, horror of horrors, one more push on that towel dispenser lever and I might be faced with a moral obligation to refill it.

I'm thankful, as I look back at 2007, that my Lord Jesus Christ is not like a roll of paper towel which one day, inevitably, will run out. I'm afraid that's what some people's religion amounts to. They know it will only take them so far and that's it. If they're going to get some more, they'll have to put some more in. Religion can run out, but not a relationship with Christ. He is the fountain of living water (eternal life) and the hiding place of all God's wisdom and knowledge (see John 4.14 and Colossians 2.3). As Paul wrote to the Christians in Colosse,
In (Christ) the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority (Colossians 2.9-10, ESV).

Thus I am convinced, that no matter how Christ-dependant I become in 2007, and no matter how many problems and difficulties I have to load him with, he will not run out. Nor will he run away. For the One who never lies gave this as his promise:
And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age (Matthew 28:20)

No comments: